This school was founded by the United States Government to assimilate Native Americans into the mainstream society, upon which hundreds of Native American children were removed from their homes and tribal cultures, sent to these schools to be educated, taught a trade and required to conform to Euro-American society. Because of Bureau policies, students did not return home for several
years, many of whom died and were buried
in the school cemetery.
From 1901 to 1946, our school operated on an 110-acre farm in the Home Gardens area of Riverside County, California. Specifically, the
property bordered Magnolia Avenue, Indiana and McLinley Street, past Lincoln Avenue. At this location, students lived in the two dormitory houses on the farm, studying farm skills and basic education.
There were epidemics, childhood diseases and accidents at the farm and the main school campus resulting in the deaths of several students.